Startups can now apply for support and potential funding from Sheridan EDGE
Published July 7, 2021 at 2:58 pm
Calling all entrepreneurs and changemakers in Mississauga, Brampton, Halton and the rest of the GTHA! Applications are now open for Sheridan EDGE’s Leap and Rise social entrepreneurship programs, geared towards entrepreneurs and changemakers who want to launch and grow new ventures.
EDGE serves as a launchpad to support founders of early-stage startups, non-profits, and co-ops who are working to make a positive social impact and create a more equitable, sustainable world. The programs are available to anyone, not just Sheridan students.
EDGE provides new and growing impact-focused ventures learning programs, mentorship, co-working space and support to access funding.
EDGE Mentor Geoff Hogan at the EDGE hub in Mississauga (pre-pandemic)
Both the Leap and Rise programs offer a wealth of resources, whether you’re looking to get your idea off the ground or you’re looking to take your early-stage venture to the next level. The applications are now open until July 25, 2021 and the programs begin in September.
Not sure which program is right for you? Here’s a quick breakdown:
The Leap program is for aspiring social enterprise founders who are looking to take the “leap” on an idea and are ready to create prototypes, develop ways to earn revenue and enhance impact, and find out whether their idea might someday pay the bills.
- The Leap program is completely free to join!
- A bootcamp and intensive learning experience
- Venture mentorship
- A series of workshops on important topics including sales and marketing
- The program will take place virtually this year due to the pandemic
Leap is designed for those who:
- Have a basic understanding of entrepreneurship and changemaking
- Have taken steps to develop a specific, impact-focused entrepreneurial idea
- Are ready to commit a few hours a week to further assess the idea as a career opportunity
Pomp & Sass Founder and EDGE Member Nikky Starrett
In contrast to the more beginner-friendly Leap, the Rise Program is for those who want to take their venture to the next level. It’s a high-value, high-intensity program customized for social enterprise founders that offers individualized coaching and support, access to expert advice and useful networks.
- Flexible 12-month cohort-based program (the fall cohort begins the week of September 13 to the week of December 13, 2021)
- Co-working space access in Mississauga and Brampton (once reopened)
- Individualized coaching to advance your venture development and impact
- Small group sessions for practical problem-solving and networking
- Access to a diverse and supportive community of like-minded impact entrepreneurs
- Support from seasoned mentors with deep expertise who can share their knowledge and networks
- Access to member perks and services
Rise is designed for those who:
- Have founded an early-stage non-profit or for-profit venture that uses entrepreneurial tools and market-based strategies to achieve social or environmental impact goals
- Have built a solution and are ready to sell or are already generating revenue
EDGE member Shauna-Kay Jones, founder of Motify and recipient of EDGE funding
Additionally, participants will be given opportunities to apply and pitch for funding. Since launch in 2018, EDGE has collaborated to distribute more than $1.8 million in funding.
EDGE members JointApp and LinkMentalHealth, recipients of EDGE funding
EDGE welcomes social venture founders at any level of experience, whether first time entrepreneurs or serial innovators. EDGE is built on a foundation of diversity, inclusivity and equity and especially welcomes founders from underrepresented communities — folks of all gender identities, sexual orientations, races and ages. The EDGE community includes entrepreneurs from the college, the surrounding region, and beyond.
Whether you’re looking to develop a for-profit or non-profit, Sheridan EDGE has you covered. Applications for the fall cohorts of both the Leap and Rise programs are only open until July 25, so be sure to apply as quickly as possible and take advantage what they have to offer.
Find out more about EDGE by visiting edge.sheridancollege.ca to browse startup programs and workshops, or book a free call with a mentor.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies