Staff member tests positive for COVID-19 at Mississauga retirement home
A retirement home in Mississauga is currently under “suspected outbreak” status after one of its staff tested positive for COVID-19.
In a letter to families, Silverthorn Care Community says a reportedly asymptomatic team member recently tested positive for the virus as part of the home’s routine testing.
The team member last worked on September 24, 2020 and is currently at home in isolation.
Peel Public Health has declared the home to be in suspected outbreak status.
Justine Welburn, executive director at Silverthorn, says all residents on the third floor and Country House will remain in their rooms and receive tray service for meals.
“All team members on the affected home areas are donning full PPE for droplet and contact precautions,” she said.
Due to its suspected outbreak status, the home is also suspending general family visits and any non-essential resident outings for the entire residence, while adhering to new guidelines which allow for essential visits from just one caregiver.
“However, we also want to ensure all visitors, residents and team members remain safe, so we encourage you to contact the care community to determine the best way forward at this time,” said Welburn.
“We know this is difficult news for you, but I am committed to keeping you informed and will provide updates as things evolve. We will do everything possible to help you connect with your loved one.”
More information and resources are offered via the home’s website.
- Outbreak at Mississauga long-term care home after staff member tests positive for COVID-19
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at Mississauga retirement home after employee tests positive for the virus
- BREAKING: Peel Public Health investigating possible coronavirus infection at Mississauga retirement home
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at retirement home in Mississauga
- Two long-term care home residents die after COVID-19 outbreak
- VIDEO: Canada Post truck rollover leads to major delays on 401 in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Aftermath of double fatal collision in Mississauga
- $100,000 prize for Brampton winner of Big Brother Canada
- Brief foot pursuit leads to arrest of Mississauga man after a pair of pharmacy robberies
- Frost advisory in effect for Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton and Milton