St. Lawrence Starch Company in Port Credit
Incorporated in 1889, St. Lawrence Starch Company built a corn wet milling factory at the foot of Centre Road (now Hurontario Street) in Port Credit. Cornstarch production began in April of 1890.
The name St. Lawrence was chosen because it was readily identifiable with Canada but not associated with a particular area or province. The founding partners were John Gray and Archibald Hutchison, and John Gray quickly established himself as one of the pre-eminent starch production men in North America, while Archie Hutchison excelled in sales and marketing.
St. Lawrence Starch ceased operations in March of 1990, one hundred years after the first steep of corn was ground, starch dried, and shipped by horse and wagon to the rail siding. At its peak, the St. Lawrence Starch Company was the largest employer in historic Mississauga.
Gray Family House, Port Credit, c1905
St Lawrence Starch Company Letterhead
St Lawrence Starch Company workers, c1900
St Lawrence Starch Company, c1950
St Lawrence Starch Company, factory interior, c1910
St Lawrence Starch Company, Packard Shipping Truck
St Lawrence Starch Company, Port Credit, 1935
St Lawrence Starch Company, Port Credit, c1952
St Lawrence Starch company transport truck, c1950
Bee Hive Corn Syrup
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.