St. Catharines property owner fined $25,000 for fire code violations
Published August 2, 2023 at 9:55 am
The owner of 412-414 St. Paul St was charged with ‘Failing to Comply with an Order’ laid under the Ontario Building Code and received a fine of $7,500.
Beyond that, additional fines of $7,500 were also imposed by the court after being found guilty of one count of ‘Failing to Comply with an Order’ under the Fire Prevention and Protection Act, as well as two counts of ‘Failing to Install Smoke Alarm’ at $2,500 each.
The owner also faced two counts of ‘Failing to Install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm’ at $2,500 a piece were also laid in connection to a second property owned by the landlord at 31 Page St.
“We take Ontario building code violations very seriously as they can pose significant risks to the safety and livability of St. Catharines,” said St. Catharines Chief Building Official John Lane.
“As we work to protect the rights of tenants and promote responsible property management, we are committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of residents. Such penalties send a clear message that we will not tolerate negligence when it comes to adhering to building codes.”
This case also involves a co-accused who has not yet faced trial although the city says that will happened later this year.
“Missing smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in a residence is a very serious matter. A house fire or CO leaking when people are fast asleep often has deadly consequences when there are no alarms in place to warn there’s a problem,” said St. Catharines Fire Chief Dave Upper.
“Smoke alarms and CO detectors are proven to save lives by giving residents an early warning and the precious time they need to get out.”