St. Catharines high school placed in lockdown after unfamiliar man spotted in the school

By

Published September 7, 2023 at 12:50 pm

A high school in St. Catharines went into lockdown yesterday (Sept. 6) after an unfamiliar individual was found wandering inside the property. 

In a letter sent out to parents and guardians of students at Saint Francis Catholic Secondary School, Principal Krista Moscato said the school was locked down after an individual was seen there on two separate occasions. 

According to the letter, the man entered the school “without authorization” at 12:30 pm and was seen looking at a trophy case. The school’s vice principal reportedly called the man into his office, told him he was not allowed to be on the premises and would receive a trespass notice, and banned him from school property.

Moscato said that before 2 pm, a student reported seeing a stranger in the washroom. 

“We immediately placed the school in a hold and secure, and confirmed the individual in the washroom was the same person who had been escorted off the property approximately 90 minutes earlier,” Moscato wrote. 

“The hold and secure was moved into a lockdown, and 911 was called.”  

Niagara police arrested the suspect, a 28-year-old man, at 2:10 pm. 

Police say he was issued a trespassing notice and “driven out of the area.” 

In an email to insauga.com, police said they do not release the identity of people charged with provincial offences. 

Moscato wrote that no students or staff members were in danger at any time.

“I understand that this may be concerning for students and families and want to advise you again that we take the safety and wellbeing of all students and staff very seriously,” she wrote.

“If you have any questions or concerns about today’s incident, please contact me directly.” 

INsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising