Square One celebrates Lunar New Year with market, immersive art experience, traditional scrolls, and big events
Published February 2, 2024 at 3:56 pm
It’s the Year of the Dragon, and big celebrations are happening at Mississauga’s Square One to commemorate the Lunar New Year.
Lunar New Year is one of the shopping centre’s largest cultural celebrations and peak shopping and gifting period. Guests are invited to explore the month-long festivities as they immersive themselves in exclusive retail collections, art, cultural performances, food and dining experiences.
Starting February 1, the shopping centre will be decorated with long hanging scrolls inspired by the tradition of Fai Chun blessings, as well as a beautiful Lunar New Year immersive experience that provides the perfect photo opportunity with friends and family. This magnificent installation will be up until Feb. 25 in the Grand Rotunda, near Entrance 3.
Returning once again this year is the famous Lunar New Year Market with Asian-owned businesses featuring one-of-a-kind treats and gifts (from mochi to jewelry). This four-day event also includes a lion dance, Chinese zodiac readings, traditional hairstyling workshops, and special promotions to celebrate this cultural milestone.
The celebrations begin in February to line up with the Lunar New Year, which starts on February 10 this year.
Here’s what to look forward to at Square One:
Lunar New Year Market
February 1 to 4
To celebrate the Year of the Dragon, Square One’s Lunar New Year Market is ready to showcase a wide variety of unique gifts and treats made by Asian-owned businesses, perfect for taking home and sharing at your family festivities. Here are the eight businesses to check out:
- LÀ LÁ Bakeshop: A modern Vietnamese bakery for all that makes deliciously sweet desserts using premium Asian ingredients like salted egg yolk, durian, and taro. They’ve gained a loyal following since opening their first store in 2021 in downtown Toronto.
- Marry Me Mochi: Toronto’s newest premium mochi donut shop, marrying the beauty of the timeless Japanese mochi with the universal appeal of the American donut.
- Mina Park Art: Mina Park is a talented Korean Canadian artist based in Mississauga. Stop by her booth to get a live drawing of yourself, or browse through her selection of prints and original artwork.
- nVi Garden: Shoppers with a green thumb should be sure to check out this popular gardening shop, which sells planters, soils, succulents and one-of-a-kind arrangements that make a perfect gift.
- Shop SHNDY: A second-generation Toronto-based jewellery store. They specialize in high quality gemstones and pieces that are certified, locally and ethically sourced, including Burmese and Chinese jade.
- Shop Cins Creations: Born out of a need to provide custom chain lengths for perfectly fitting necklaces, this shop has since expanded its jewellery line and carries everything from simple, modern, everyday earrings to gold plated and gold-filled pieces.
- The Night Baker: This bakery specializes in soft and chewy cookies in a variety of flavours inspired by the Philippines. Their most popular cookie is the ‘Ooh bae’, made with real Ube (sweet purple yam).
- Yes Boutique: Beautiful candles with a strong focus on personalization. Shoppers can customize every aspect, from the colour to the fragrance, ensuring their candle is a one-of-a-kind creation.
The Lunar New Year Market is located in the Grand Rotunda across Holt Renfrew on the mall’s second level, and will also be where the following special events listed are hosted.
Traditional hairstyling workshops
Saturday, February, 3 and Sunday, February 4 – 11 am and 1 pm
Discover the art of traditional hairstyling with Lili Lai, a Chinese-Vietnamese stylist celebrated for her dedication to cultural and traditional arts. Known for her social media presence on Instagram, TikTok and Youtube, Lili invites you to join her workshop at Square One’s Lunar New Year Market and learn to adorn yourself in traditional styles. Participants will receive a free hair accessory!
Chinese zodiac readings
Thursday, February 1 and Friday, February 2 – 2 pm to 6 pm
Saturday, February 3 and Sunday, February 4 – 10 am to 1 pm
Learn about the Chinese Zodiac with Lili Lai and get your horoscope told with a Chinese zodiac reading. What does the future hold for you as we enter the Year of the Dragon?
Lion dance performance
Saturday, February 3 – 3 pm
Enjoy a special lion and dragon dance performance live on Saturday, February 3 at 3 pm at Holt Renfrew and in the Grand Rotunda. This beautiful performance is done to bring prosperity and good luck for the upcoming year.
Limited-time offers at Square One stores
A number of retailers at Square One will be celebrating the Lunar New Year with limited edition items, gifts, and special offers, all inspired by the Year of the Dragon.
Look out for new offers from Holt Renfrew, Pandora, Roots, Sephora, Swarovski, Armani Exchange A|X, Chatime, Fossil, Lululemon Athletica, MAC Cosmetics, Michael Kors, Purdys Chocolates, and Vessi.
Bonus gift cards
January 31 to February 14
Shoppers who buy Square One gift cards from January 31 to February 14 will receive a bonus gift card in celebration of the Lunar New Year:
- $200-$499 card: $10 bonus gift card
- $500-$999 card: $25 bonus gift card
- $1000 or more: $50 bonus gift card
Happy Lunar New Year from Square One! For more info on all of these events and celebrations, visit Square One’s website.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies