Special Investigations Unit Charges Peel Police Officer
A Peel police officer is facing a Special Investigations Unit (SIU) charge following a 2016 collision that left another officer with serious injuries.
The SIU recently announced that Tony Loparco, the director of the SIU, has “reasonable grounds to believe a Peel Regional Police officer who struck another officer with his vehicle in August of 2016 committed a criminal offence.”
Loparco has caused a charge to be laid against the officer.
The SIU reports that in the morning hours of Sunday, August 28, 2016, the Peel police communications centre received calls regarding a break and enter in progress in Mississauga.
Const. Thomas McLean, who was the subject of the investigation, was driving a cruiser north on Mississauga Road when he struck a fellow officer who was directing traffic at the Mississauga Road and Barbertown Road intersection.
The victim was seriously injured in the collision and subsequently transported to hospital.
McLean is now facing one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
The officer is required to appear in court on May 29.
You can see a video of the incident, courtesy of the Streetsville Living Facebook page, that was taken after the incident.
- Police Officer Seriously Injured After Being Struck by Police Cruiser in Mississauga
- Peel Police Officer Facing Criminal Charges
- Peel Police Officer Charged with Sexual Assault
- Peel Police Officer Suspended After Fight With Fellow Officer in Mississauga
- Peel police officer not facing charges after man sustains severe facial injuries during arrest in Mississauga
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- Tech startups can apply for funding and get in front of industry partners with this opportunity
- A barbershop reopens during the lockdown as a film production studio