Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
A recent report suggests that some university students in Mississauga have found a creative way to avoid student debt.
According to SeekingArrangment, a popular dating site that matches older and more financially established "sugar daddies" and “sugar mommas" with younger partners, over 250 University of Toronto (U of T) students used the site in 2020.
U of T operates campuses in Mississauga, Toronto and Scarborough.
According to SeekingArrangement's website, 350,000 students in Canada have joined the site and are "dating successful benefactors who help them avoid student debt and secure a better future."
The site says that Canada has the third-largest population of members on SeekingArrangement, with over 800,000 "sugar babies" registered on the site. The site is also home to 250,789 sugar daddies and 32,546 sugar mommas.
SeekingArrangement says that, on average, students receive a monthly allowance of $2,400 among other benefits, including networking opportunities and career or business advantages.
According to a recent Statistics Canada report, one in two Canadian students graduates with student debt.
"It makes sense that the number of college Sugar Babies seeking Sugar Daddies on SeekingArrangement rose nearly 3 per cent from the previous year," the site says.
Other Canadian universities with over 100 students registered on SeekingArrangement in 2020 include the University of Alberta, Queen's University, Ryerson University, Wilfred Laurier University, York University and McGill University.
“It's a fact: many college students who have decided to upgrade their dating life by registering on SeekingArrangement get help covering college-related costs when they find a Sugar Daddy,” the site says.
“Meeting the right Sugar Daddy offers collegiate Sugar Babies access to expanded networking opportunities, mentorship and financial benefits that come with building a relationship with someone established and successful.”
- University Students In Mississauga Use Dating To Reduce Student Debt
- Some Mississauga Students are Dating to Pay Off Student Loans
- More Than One-Third of College and University Students Receiving Free Tuition Grants in Ontario
- This is the Most Expensive City for University Students in Canada
- Survey of university students, faculty suggests online learning has negative impact
- 121 workers at Mississauga's Gateway postal facility test positive for COVID-19
- Subway can press $210-million defamation suit against CBC for show on chicken content
- Two provinces hardest hit by COVID-19 see cases trend downward over last-week totals
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga
- York Region shares list of box stores fined over violations of COVID-19 rules