Some Residents Eligible for Financial Assistance Programs in Mississauga
Published October 18, 2017 at 2:54 am
Sometimes life’s expenses can become too overwhelming–especially when you’re struggling or on a fixed income.
For that reason, Mississauga’s older adults might be happy to hear that the city offers a range of credit programs for the municipality’s elderly residents, along with special programs specifically geared towards lower-income seniors.
Some of the programs seniors might be interested to learn more about include:
- Property Tax Rebate Program: A tax rebate of $400 per year on annual property taxes for low income seniors and low income persons with disabilities who own and occupy their own home.
- Stormwater Subsidy Program: A 100 per cent subsidy for low income seniors and low income persons with disabilities to offset the stormwater charge. Recipients of the property tax rebate program automatically qualify.
- Yard Maintenance Subsidy Program: Up to $200 per year in financial assistance for eligible seniors and persons with disabilities for snow clearing and grass cutting.
- ActiveAssist Program: A fee assistance program of $275 per person, per year that gives residents living in low income households the chance to participate in recreation and culture activities.
- Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program: Free program for low-income seniors or persons with disabilities that helps clear snow windrow at the end of their driveways.
- MiWay Affordable Transit Program: Provides low income residents access to affordable public transit by subsidizing the cost of adult and senior monthly passes by 50 per cent.
- MiWay Senior One Dollar Cash Fare – Off-Peak Program: $1.00 MiWay cash fare for seniors during off-peak hours on weekdays (9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and after 7 p.m.) and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
For more details about these programs, including other financial assistance programs offered by the Region of Peel, Province of Ontario and Federal Income programs, click here.