Some Residents Eligible for Financial Assistance Programs in Mississauga
Sometimes life's expenses can become too overwhelming—especially when you're struggling or on a fixed income.
For that reason, Mississauga's older adults might be happy to hear that the city offers a range of credit programs for the municipality's elderly residents, along with special programs specifically geared towards lower-income seniors.
Some of the programs seniors might be interested to learn more about include:
- Property Tax Rebate Program: A tax rebate of $400 per year on annual property taxes for low income seniors and low income persons with disabilities who own and occupy their own home.
- Stormwater Subsidy Program: A 100 per cent subsidy for low income seniors and low income persons with disabilities to offset the stormwater charge. Recipients of the property tax rebate program automatically qualify.
- Yard Maintenance Subsidy Program: Up to $200 per year in financial assistance for eligible seniors and persons with disabilities for snow clearing and grass cutting.
- ActiveAssist Program: A fee assistance program of $275 per person, per year that gives residents living in low income households the chance to participate in recreation and culture activities.
- Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program: Free program for low-income seniors or persons with disabilities that helps clear snow windrow at the end of their driveways.
- MiWay Affordable Transit Program: Provides low income residents access to affordable public transit by subsidizing the cost of adult and senior monthly passes by 50 per cent.
- MiWay Senior One Dollar Cash Fare - Off-Peak Program: $1.00 MiWay cash fare for seniors during off-peak hours on weekdays (9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and after 7 p.m.) and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
For more details about these programs, including other financial assistance programs offered by the Region of Peel, Province of Ontario and Federal Income programs, click here.
- Some Mississauga residents eligible for financial assistance with transit and home maintenance
- MiWay Piloting Programs for Lower-Income Residents in Mississauga
- Some Residents Can Apply for City’s Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program
- Province Officially Ending Basic Income Program
- Government creates new dental care program for seniors in Mississauga
- Police searching for missing 13-year-old girl last seen driving a car in Mississauga
- Construction coming to busy GO Station and street to make way for Hurontario LRT in Mississauga
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: A look inside a mass vaccination clinic in Mississauga