Some Mississauga Residents Will Get a Break on Stormwater Charges
When news first broke that Mississauga residents would have to pay a new stormwater charge, few people were pleased.
Now, it looks like some needy homeowners will get a bit of a break.
According to the city, General Committee recently received a report to extend the stormwater charge subsidy program to eligible low-income seniors, low-income residents with disabilities and working farms. If you're an eligible homeowner, you'll receive the subsidy backdated to Jan. 1, 2016.
The report was slated to be approved at today's (Nov. 9) council meeting.
"City staff across departments worked carefully to develop these new subsidies that will ensure affordability and accessibility for residents," said Helen Noehammer, Director Transportation and Infrastructure Planning. "Our goal is to offer the most accurate, fair and efficient way to identify eligible properties."
According to the city, financial assistance to eligible people will be based on Mississauga's Tax Rebate Program. Staff will use the existing property tax rebate process and eligibility to automatically identify property owners who will be eligible for the subsidy.
Based on the number of properties and addresses currently in receipt of the property tax rebate, the estimated subsidy cost for the low-income subsidy is $107,000 in 2016. The cost for the working farm subsidy is approximately $22,000 in 2016.
The stormwater charge is a new fee that was added to the Region of Peel water bill this year.
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $2 mil family home with impressive kitchen
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Ice from other vehicle shatters windshield in Mississauga
- Armed suspects flee attempted bank robbery in Mississauga
- Some Residents Eligible for Financial Assistance Programs in Mississauga
- Mississauga’s Stormwater Charge is Coming
- Select Residents Can Get Some Extra Financial Help From the City of Mississauga
- Mississauga Launches Stormwater Home Visit Pilot Program
- Vacancy Rebate Program for Business Owners to be Phased Out in Mississauga