Some Mississauga Residents Can Ride the Bus for Free on Remembrance Day
The City of Mississauga is doing a few different things to commemorate and remember those who served in war, and one of those things is offering veterans free MiWay rides on Remembrance Day.
On Saturday, Nov. 11, MiWay will provide complimentary bus rides to veterans and their companions. Veterans should wear items such as uniforms, medals or carry items that identify them as veterans to transit operators.
The city will also be hosting other events in honour of the occasion
"This Remembrance Day, the City of Mississauga encourages residents to pause and reflect on the sacrifices veterans made in times of conflict for the freedoms we enjoy today," the city wrote in a statement, adding that it will host a Civic Centre Remembrance Day Ceremony on Friday, Nov. 10.
The city will also share information for local ceremonies online and live stream the National Remembrance Day Service in Ottawa on the Celebration Square screens.
Flags at city facilities will fly at half-mast.
The Civic Centre Remembrance Day Ceremony will take commence at 10:45 a.m. and run until 11:20 a.m. The ceremony will be held in the Mississauga Civic Centre Community Memorial in the north-west corner of Celebration Square (so dress for the weather, as the event will be held outdoors).
The ceremony will include two minutes of silence, a poetry reading and an opportunity to lay a wreath.
If you'd like to lay a wreath, click here for information on registering.
In the event of severe weather, the ceremony will take place in the Great Hall inside the Civic Centre.
If you cannot attend the Civic Centre Remembrance Day Ceremony, you can watch the live stream on the city's website beginning at 10:45 a.m.
The city will also be streaming Canada’s National Remembrance Day Ceremony at the National War Memorial in Ottawa on Saturday, Nov. 11 on the screens at Mississauga Celebration Square from 10:30 a.m. to noon (approximately).
- Veterans Ride MiWay for Free on Remembrance Day in Mississauga
- Here’s What’s Happening for Remembrance Day in Mississauga
- City of Mississauga will hold a virtual Remembrance Day ceremony
- Here's everything that's happening this Remembrance Day in Mississauga
- Here's Where Remembrance Day Ceremonies/Parades are Happening in Mississauga
- Drugs found at kids playland, 19 from Brampton busted as international trafficking ring smashed, police release all names
- One of the best pho places in Mississauga is closing permanently
- Mississauga and Brampton businesses will be ordered closed if COVID-19 cases found
- Peel police asked to investigate after OPP officer seen pushing a child during a confrontation
- Mississauga and Brampton residents urged to avoid non-essential travel due to snow