Some big changes coming to garbage and recycling in Mississauga
If you live in the Region of Peel (Mississauga, Brampton or Caledon), you should note that changes will be coming to garbage and recycling procedures in the not-too-distant future.
According to the region, residents who use Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) should note that effective Jan. 4, 2021, disposal fees for single loads (one per day) weighing 100 kgs will no longer be waived.
Residents will be charged the minimum fee of $6 for the first 50 kgs and all applicable loads over 50 kgs will be charged at $118 per tonne. Dedicated loads of recycling, metals, electronics and appliances continue to be accepted for free, however.
The region says residents should expect longer than normal wait times at CRCs due to physical distancing protocols.
According to the region, the winter garbage exemption period (originally scheduled from Jan. 25 to Feb. 5, 2021) is suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The region says that unlimited amounts of garbage will not be collected and that residents can only place up to two extra bags on their garbage collection day. No garbage tags needed.
Additional bags beyond the two-bag limit will not be collected, but they can be taken to any CRC (where disposal fees may apply). The region says bulky items continue to be collected at the curb and accepted at CRCs year-round.
Residents should note that as of Feb. 8, 2021, the additional two-bag limit for excess garbage will end, which means that residents will have to purchase garbage tags to dispose of excess garbage bags. Residents can purchase garbage tags in advance, starting Jan. 15, by visiting peelregion.ca/waste.
In the meantime, residents can bring excess garbage of up to 100 kgs for free at any CRC until Jan. 3, 2021. Disposal fees will apply for garbage that is dropped off from Jan. 4, 2021, onwards. Excess garbage must be placed in bags. Containers or cans will not be collected.
- Fall garbage exemption period suspended in Mississauga
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga
- More changes coming to garbage and recycling rules in Mississauga amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Changes coming to garbage and recycling rules and procedures in Mississauga
- Important Garbage Collection Information for Mississauga Residents
- 401 closed as Mississauga woman killed in early morning collision
- Dump truck protest rolls onto highways in Mississauga and Brampton
- Alarming new record of COVID-19 cases set today in Mississauga and Brampton
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada
- 65% of all Mississauga and Brampton residents will have the vaccine by early June