SIU terminates investigation into man’s leg injury in Mississauga
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU), an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault, has terminated an investigation into an injury that occurred during an interaction between police and a civilian in Mississauga.
The SIU says the 36-year-old man's injury was the result of him leaping down a flight of stairs, and cannot be reasonably attributed to the actions of the Peel Regional Police officers involved.
The SIU says that in the early morning hours of Nov. 20, 2019, Peel police officers were conducting an investigation at an apartment building located at 4050 Dixie Road when a person of interest saw the officers.
According to the SIU, the man fled down a stairwell and, in an effort to get away, attempted to leap an entire flight of stairs resulting in him landing awkwardly.
The SIU says he was arrested within seconds of his jump and taken to hospital for treatment of a leg injury.
"While the exact nature of the man's injury remains unknown, he having declined to release his medical records, it is clearly serious in nature given his leg was rigidly casted in the wake of the incident and surgery had been scheduled," said Interim Director Joseph Martino in the report.
"What is clear is that the man jumped of his own volition and is the author of his own misfortune. Accordingly, the investigation is hereby discontinued, and the file closed."
- SIU terminates investigation into man’s foot injury in Mississauga
- SIU Clears Peel Police in Mississauga Injury
- SIU Closes Investigation into Man Injured When Arrested by Police
- SIU Says Peel Police Officers Will Not Face Charges Following Man’s Injury in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Officers Not Charged After Man Sustains Gruesome Foot Injury During Police Chase in Mississauga
- Two employees at Mississauga grocery store test positive for COVID-19
- Mississauga’s Most Notorious Murder Case - Peter Demeter
- The perfect selfie spot is taking shape in Mississauga
- House of the Week: Magnificent $8.8 Mil Mansion with Luxurious Indoor Pool
- Mississauga travel agency owner wins $1 million lotto prize