SIU Investigating Peel Police After Tasing Incident in Mississauga
The province's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has been called to investigate a troubling incident that resulted in serious injuries for a 38-year-old Mississauga man.
On Monday evening, Peel Regional police officers and the tactical response unit were called to a City Centre apartment on Webb Drive in the Square One area to contain a distraught man reportedly armed with a knife and lighter fluid.
As the incident was unfolding, Peel police tweeted that the man was in medical distress and was not a threat to public safety.
According to the SIU, the man in question lived in a 16th floor unit that had been on fire (the fire department was also on scene). The SIU says, based on preliminary information, that at approximately 8:20 p.m., police entered the apartment and an "interaction occurred." During the interaction, a conducted energy weapon was used. The man was taken to Trillium Health Centre for treatment.
Last night, Const. Harinder Sohi told insauga.com that the man was taken to hospital for mental health assessment.
Now, six investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to look into the incident further.
The SIU, an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault, is asking anyone with any information to call the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
- SIU investigating after man dies following tasing incident in Mississauga
- Man Dies After Being Tasered by Police in Mississauga
- SIU Investigating After Man Seriously Injured During Alleged Square One Break-In in Mississauga
- SIU Investigating After Woman Alleges Sexual Assault by Peel Police
- SIU investigating after man seriously injured in police-involved shooting in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of fatal crash between motorcycle and MiWay bus in Mississauga
- Biggest party bust Mississauga has seen during quarantine results in heavy fines
- House of the Week: Huge $3.9 mil house near Rattray Marsh
- PHOTOS & VIDEO: Anti-mask protest at City Hall in Mississauga
- Policy officer from Mississauga celebrating big lotto win