SIU Investigating Man's Naloxone-Related Death in Mississauga
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating after a 45-year-old man died in Mississauga overnight after Peel police administered an anti-overdose drug.
Upon arrival, they found a man and began CPR.
Naloxone was administered.
Paramedics arrived and the man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after midnight.
This is the second naloxone-related death involving Peel police in one month.
Officers also administered the drug on March 12 at a Brampton home near McLaughlin Rd. and Queen St. W. The man was pronounced dead at the scene and the SIU invoked its mandate.
The issue over investigating naloxone-related deaths is a contentious one, with Ontario’s police chiefs battling the province’s SIU in the midst of the opioid crisis.
It’s like deja vu all over again! We understand that there is and should be oversight. That isn’t the issue. The issue is people that are suffering from overdoses aren’t in police custody or under arrest & officers are simply trying to save their lives.@Kathleen_Wynne @SIUOntario pic.twitter.com/vDFsBnvOQ4— Peel Regional PA (@peel_pa) April 6, 2018
Out in B.C., the administration of naloxone isn’t investigated by the SIU.
But in Ontario, the SIU says police must advise the agency when a death occurs during police interaction if naloxone was attempted or administered.
Peel’s new police association president, Adrian Woolley, didn’t mince words in a tweet directed at the SIU’s director Tony Loparco and top government officials, including Premier Kathleen Wynne and Attorney General Yasir Naqvi.
The SIU is asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
It’s like deja vu all over again! 2nd Opioid investigation for Peel in less than 30 days. @SIUOntario&Tony Laparco still want to investigate every overdose death involving frontline officers & Naloxone. @Kathleen_Wynne @Yasir_Naqvi You 2 throwing away. #OpioidCrisis pic.twitter.com/5emZSj8Mzq— Adrian Woolley (@PRPA_Prez) April 6, 2018
Anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident can upload footage through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.
- Amazing Aerial Shots of Mississauga From The 70s
- Bonus House of the Week: Iconic and Mysterious Castle House in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of stolen tractor-trailer smashing into a gas station and vehicles in Mississauga
- Police searching for missing nine-year-old boy from Mississauga
- Fatal collision involving stolen truck takes down hydro wires; major Mississauga intersection closed
- Peel Police Cleared in Man's Naloxone-Related Death in Mississauga
- New Rules Proposed for Police Officers in Mississauga
- Here's What You Need to Know About New Rules Being Proposed for Police Officers in Mississauga
- SIU Investigating After Man Falls to his Death from Overpass in Mississauga
- Man Dies After Being Tasered by Police in Mississauga