SIU Investigating After Major Crash and Alleged Robbery in Mississauga
After a man sustained serious injuries after a major crash in the City Centre area earlier this evening, the province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is looking into the incident.
Earlier this evening — Tuesday, December 19, 2017 — we reported that there has been a major crash with delays and road closures in the area of Hurontario Street and Rathburn Road.
As of around 7 p.m. the investigation was taken over by Toronto Police Services and the SIU.
The SIU says that shortly before 5 p.m., Toronto Police officers were following a vehicle in the area of Fairview Road West and Hanson Road.
“Police had information that an occupant in the vehicle had been involved in a bank robbery,” said the SIU in a recent release.
The vehicle was then involved in a crash with four other vehicles at Hurontario and Rathburn.
According to the SIU, the man fled the vehicle but was arrested soon after, and transported to the hospital for treatment. He had sustained a serious injury.
The SIU is still investigating this incident — three investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist are assigned to the case.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
Cover photo courtesy of The 4K Guy
- UPDATED: Multiple Vehicle Crash and Police Investigation in Major Area of Mississauga
- SIU investigating after man seriously injured in police-involved shooting in Mississauga
- SIU investigating after teenage bank robbery suspect shot by police in Mississauga
- Police Cruiser Involved in Crash in Major Area of Mississauga
- Police looking for vehicle involved in shooting incident in Mississauga
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- Popular Mississauga restaurant opens luxury tent to keep diners comfortable amid the COVID shutdown
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- BREAKING: Ontario reporting 978 new COVID-19 cases today, six new deaths
- PHOTOS: Swans rescued following oil spill at Credit River in Mississauga