SIU called to Brampton after police forced to use taser, plastic bullets to subue man trying to harm himself
Police in Brampton had to use plastic bullets and a taser to bring down a man who was trying to injure himself.
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has now been called in to investigate the incident.
According to the SIU, Peel Police were called to the Scott St. and Church St. area around 2 a.m. this morning (March 22) with reports that a man in distress intended to harm himself.
When officers were able to locate the man in a nearby green space, he began to cut himself with a sharp object. The SIU says two officers responded by firing plastic projectiles while a third discharged his conducted energy weapon.
The man was then taken to hospital because of his injuries.
Five investigators from the SIU have since been assigned to the case. The SIU is an independent body that investigates whenever police discharge a weapon or if a serious injury takes place.
The SIU asks anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
- SIU clears Peel Police over Brampton incident where plastic bullets, taser were used
- Police cleared by SIU in Mississauga in anti-riot weapon incident
- SIU Clears Peel Police Officer in Mississauga Taser Case
- SIU called in after Bramptom pedestrian struck by police cruiser
- SIU investigating after man dies following tasing incident in Mississauga
- One year old girl pulled from backyard pool without vital signs in Burlington
- Ontario asking feds to ensure that Mississauga and Ontario residents with mixed doses can travel abroad
- Oldest theatre in Mississauga is closing permanently
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton
- Mississauga, Brampton, Halton and Hamilton under air quality warning from forest fires