Sheridan’s Second Mississauga Campus Approved
Mississauga City Council approved the Lease Agreement which will allow the construction of a second campus building on the Sheridan Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning Hazel McCallion Campus in the heart of downtown Mississauga.
"I am very pleased with the success of Sheridan and the addition of a second building to their campus," said Mayor Hazel McCallion. "The expansion will accommodate more students and continue to bring life to our downtown."
According to officials, the campus in downtown Mississauga has already exceeded expectations. It has surpassed projected numbers for enrollment, courses and campus use. There are currently 2,700 students enrolled in a range of business diploma and graduate certificate programs, with five new business degrees set to launch in September. The expansion will enable Sheridan to accommodate up to an additional 3,200 full-time students
"Sheridan has lived up to the expectations of creating an innovative and vibrant campus for youth, and others to pursue higher education opportunities in Mississauga, said Ward 4 Councillor Frank Dale. The expansion of the campus will further support the City's Downtown21 plan to create a vibrant downtown, attract and retain youth, create great public spaces and develop talent."
"The addition of a second building will build on the unique partnership between the City and Sheridan. Sheridan's success in surpassing set goals for enrollment and courses offered supports our vision for expanding educational opportunities in Mississauga and our Strategic Plan objectives," said City Manager and CAO Janice Baker. Baker noted that construction on the second building of the Sheridan Hazel McCallion Campus, will begin later this year. The new building is expected to be completed in the summer of 2016 and ready for students that September.
The Phase One Building of the Sheridan HMC campus opened in the fall of 2011 and was developed on 0.45 ha (1.13 ac.) together with approximately 0.52 ha (1.29 ac.) of new parkland that is now known as Scholars' Green.
The Lease Agreement for Phase Two grants Sheridan a 95-year lease allowing construction of a post-secondary education facility on 0.74 ha (1.83 ac.) of the property, with an option to develop a possible extension to the Phase Two building within five years.
The City and Sheridan also reached an agreement on sharing costs on certain streetscape works and the design and construction of future parkland. The location of the future park block will be situated immediately west of the Phase 2 campus building representing approximately 0.55 ha (1.37 ac.) of new parkland in downtown Mississauga.
For more information about the City's partnership with Sheridan visit: http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/discover/sheridancampus
- New Sheridan College Building in Mississauga Opening to be Delayed
- PHOTOS: First Look Inside the New Sheridan College Expansion in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Sheridan College is Expanding Even More in Mississauga
- College with Mississauga campus optimistic that classes will resume in the fall
- Some students will be permitted to return to Humber campus in July
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Police discover remains of deceased infant in basement of Hamilton home
- Peel District School Board issues apology for racially insensitive content on internal webpage for staff
- Mississauga pressing to enter red-zone on March 9
- Police searching for suspect in connection to stabbing in Mississauga