Severe Weather Watch Now in Effect for Mississauga
If you were planning on spending some time outdoors today, there's a severe weather watch you should be aware of.
Environment Canada says a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for Halton and Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills).
The weather agency says scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop from near Windsor through areas just east of Lake Huron and northeast of Georgian Bay near noon. These storms will track eastward across southern and central Ontario during the afternoon and early evening hours.
Environment Canada says the storms will reach portions of the Golden Horseshoe after 4:00 p.m.
Residents should note that "isolated damaging wind gusts may occur with some of these storms."
Environment Canada says small hail, torrential downpours, and frequent lightning may also occur.
The threat for severe thunderstorms will end in all areas later this evening.
"Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors," Environment Canada says.
So if you hear thunder, go indoors.
- Police Investigating Shots Fired into Mississauga Residence
- UPDATE: Arrest Made in Connection with Armed Kidnapping of 22-Year-Old
- Police Make One of the Largest Gun Seizures in Region’s History
- Police Searching for Missing Mississauga Male
- Report Suggests Criminal Money is Driving Up Housing Prices in the GTA