Severe Weather Watch Now in Effect for Mississauga
If you were planning on spending some time outdoors today, there's a severe weather watch you should be aware of.
Environment Canada says a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for Halton and Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills).
The weather agency says scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop from near Windsor through areas just east of Lake Huron and northeast of Georgian Bay near noon. These storms will track eastward across southern and central Ontario during the afternoon and early evening hours.
Environment Canada says the storms will reach portions of the Golden Horseshoe after 4:00 p.m.
Residents should note that "isolated damaging wind gusts may occur with some of these storms."
Environment Canada says small hail, torrential downpours, and frequent lightning may also occur.
The threat for severe thunderstorms will end in all areas later this evening.
"Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors," Environment Canada says.
So if you hear thunder, go indoors.
- Ontario pulls AstraZeneca from arms of Mississauga, Brampton reisdents over renewed fears of blood clots
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- Another 7 flights with 38 rows affected land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Peel orders closure of three businesses, one Bakery, in Mississauga
- Mississauga residents can book vaccination at Doses After Dark