Severe Weather Watch Issued for Mississauga
Don't plan to spend too much time outdoors tonight, as you could get caught in some inclement weather.
Environment Canada recently announced that a severe weather watch is in effect for Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills. The weather agency says that conditions "are favourable" for the development of severe thunderstorms that could produce strong wind gusts and heavy rain.
The thunderstorms are expected to develop this afternoon and could persist into the overnight hours. Should the storms hit, residents could see wind gusts of 90 km/h and heavy rainfall.
Total rainfall amounts near 50 mm are possible in some areas, should multiple thunderstorms occur.
Environment Canada is also reminding residents that severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes and that heavy downpours can prompt flash floods and water pools on roads. Lightning also poses a threat.
If you're caught in a thunderstorm this evening, head indoors as soon as possible. If you're driving, exercise more caution.
- Top 5 bakeries in Mississauga in 2021
- Cancel travel plans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau urges Canadians
- Police investigate after shots fired at car in west Mississauga
- Employee at a McDonald’s in Mississauga tested positive for COVID-19
- New COVID cases in Peel Region follow provincial trend for daily numbers