Severe Weather Watch is in Effect for Mississauga
We hope you have an umbrella handy!
Environment Canada is issuing a severe thunderstorm watch for the Peel-Halton area (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Milton, Halton Hills, Burlington).
"There is the potential for severe thunderstorms beginning late this morning and this afternoon," reads the statement issued at 9:46 a.m. on Friday morning.
The weather agency says conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, heavy rain, and damaging hail.
Yes, that's right—hail.
Even though it's small, it's still hail.
Very large hail can damage property, break windows, dent vehicles, and cause serious injury.
The weather agency is reminding people that heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.
Lightning is also dangerous, so residents are encouraged to seek shelter in the event of a major storm.
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at Mississauga retirement home after employee tests positive for the virus
- Free bicycles available for Malton students who need them in Mississauga
- One of Mississauga’s best-known bars will not be reopening
- Skies will be clear in Mississauga for optimal Perseid meteor shower viewing
- PHOTOS: A look at the newest selfie spot in Mississauga