Severe Weather Watch Currently in Effect for Mississauga
We hope you have an umbrella handy!
Environment Canada recently said a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for the Halton-Peel area (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Milton, Halton Hills, Burlington).
The weather agency says conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts and torrential rain.
"A line of thunderstorms will continue to move eastward this afternoon," the watch reads.
"There are currently a few storms extending from Sarnia to Waterloo and will move through Toronto and Hamilton from 3 to 5 pm."
Environment Canada says wind gusts of up to 90 kilometres per hour and 50 mm of rainfall are possible. Fortunately, westerly winds will end the threat of severe weather this evening.
The weather agency is reminding people that heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Lightning is also dangerous, so residents are encouraged to seek shelter in the event of a major storm.
- Top 5 Chicken on the Rocks in Mississauga
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- Vehicle leaves scene after striking pedestrian in Mississauga
- Long-awaited store finally opens in Streetsville
- Three OPP officers charged following allegations of preferential treatment for GTA tow operators