Severe Thunderstorm Watch Issued for Mississauga
A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for Mississauga on Thursday evening.
Conditions are “favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing damaging wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain,” reads a statement issued by Environment Canada.
“The thunderstorms are expected to develop ahead of or along a cold front this evening.”
The watch also covers Brampton, Burlington, Oakville, Milton, and Halton Hills.
Very strong wind gusts “can damage buildings, down trees and blow large vehicles off the road. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes,” the statement continues.
The federal agency is reminding residents to go indoors when thunder roars.
Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management recommends taking cover immediately if threatening weather approaches.
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- Mississauga Mayor furious about retirement party at Canada Post facility in Mississauga
- Woman in Brampton struck and killed while trying to retrieve something from trunk