Severe Thunderstorm and Possible Tornado Watch in Effect for Mississauga
It might be delightfully warm outside today, but severe weather could be on route.
Environment Canada says a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for the Halton (Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills), Peel (Brampton and Mississauga) and Hamilton areas.
The weather agency says thunderstorms with damaging wind gusts are possible this afternoon and early evening.
“Scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop ahead of a cold front in areas near Lake Huron and Georgian Bay by early afternoon. These storms are then expected to track southeastward across southern Ontario during the afternoon and early evening hours. The storms will likely move through the GTA late this afternoon,” Environment Canada says.
Damaging wind gusts may occur, as well as torrential downpours, frequent lightning and hail.
There will also be the risk for an isolated tornado.
Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles.
Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year.
Residents are advised to monitor local forecasts.
- Brand new Starbucks location opening in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: A Fight Club forms in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Peel police officer knees male on ground during arrest in Mississauga
- House of the Week: Beautiful $1.3 mil bungalow with chic interior
- Mississauga mother celebrating $1 million lotto win