Multiple People Arrested During First Weekend of Impaired Driving Blitz
While it’s never okay to drink and drive, the holiday season is upon us, and with that, Peel Regional Police’s Festive RIDE program is running in full force.
The Festive RIDE program happens from the end of December into early January to combat the higher number of incidents that tend to occur around Christmas/New Year's.
This year, Peel Regional Police are on high alert for impaired drivers from November 18, 2017-January 2, 2018.
Police recently announced an update from the very first weekend of this year’s campaign, November 18-19. During those first two days, 966 vehicles were investigated, three WARN range suspensions were given out, and police made seven impaired driving arrests on Brampton and Mississauga roads.
During last year’s six-week Festive RIDE campaign, police stopped a total of 33,011 vehicles, gave out 208 WARN suspensions lasting anywhere from three and 30 days, and arrested 215 drivers for impaired driving. Sixty-nine per cent of those charged were between the ages of 21 and 40. Of those charged, 121 were male and 30 were female.
"It is concerning that the number of persons charged is this high during a six week period,” said Inspector Paul Pogue from Road Safety Services of Peel Regional Police last year.
“This number represents the need to continue Festive R.I.D.E and other road safety initiatives to ensure safe travels for the residents and visitors of the Region of Peel. Moving forward in 2017, Peel Regional Police will continue to work with our partnering agencies to educate the community and enforce the rules of the road for safe travels."
Police also conduct RIDE spot checks on Super Bowl Weekend, St. Patrick’s Day, Victoria Day Weekend, Canada Day, and Labour Day Weekend, along with the regular RIDE campaign that’s happens on a weekly basis throughout the year.
We’ll see the full results of the Festive RIDE come January.
- Several Drivers Arrested During First Half of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Peel police conducting vehicle stops with their Festive RIDE program
- Hundreds of Impaired Driving Charges Laid in OPP Festive RIDE
- Here's How Many Impaired Drivers OPP Took Off the Road
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Mississauga
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Canada Post reports more cases of COVID found at Mississauga's Gateway facility
- Police warning public of new scam sent via text
- Photo radar map shows where Brampton made $1 million
- Charges laid after rescuing a raccoon being held captive in Burlington