Sentencing submissions expected in case of teen who pleaded guilty to terror charges
Published January 28, 2022 at 4:00 am
Sentencing submissions are expected today in the case of a teenager who pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges including possession of explosive material and counselling someone to detonate a bomb.
The Kingston, Ont., teen, who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was 16 when he was arrested by RCMP in January 2019 following a tip from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation.
An agreed statement of facts said the teen unwittingly communicated with an FBI undercover agent he believed to be a “lone wolf” terrorist in Virginia, and sent him instructions on how to build a pressure-cooker bomb.
The statement said the teen also encouraged the agent to plant the bomb in a public place, such as a bar, to kill “enemies of Allah.”
No bomb was planted but the statement said a search of the youth’s home found all the materials needed to create one.
The youth pleaded guilty in 2020 to facilitating a terrorist activity, possession of an explosive substance with intent to injure or kill, taking action to cause an explosion and counselling another person to detonate an explosive device to cause injury or death.
He also admitted to breaching his bail conditions for failing to wear a monitoring bracelet.
Last year, Crown prosecutors asked the court to sentence the teen as an adult. The defence, meanwhile, said a youth sentence of three years would be appropriate.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 28, 2022.
The Canadian Pressinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising