Second Senators player tests positive for coronavirus
The Ottawa Senators say another one of their players has tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of known NHL cases to two.
The team announced their second case in a statement Saturday, four days after announcing its first positive test result.
The team did not name the specific player but said he was among those who travelled with the Senators on their west-coast road trip that included games in San Jose, Anaheim and Los Angeles before the NHL postponed the rest of its season last week due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
"The Ottawa Senators' medical team is actively monitoring players and staff and following all appropriate and professional guidelines to help ensure the health and safety of our employees and the greater community," the team said in the statement.
The team said 52 people, including players, staff, media, guests and flight crew, were on the trip and eight have been tested, with two positive results received.
Results have yet to come in for the other six, who were tested on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The team said the other 44 people on the trip "have shown no symptoms," but they have each been instructed to self-quarantine since March 14.
The Senators announced their first case on Tuesday -- the first positive COVID-19 case among an NHL player. The team also did not identify that player but said at the time that he had mild symptoms and that he was in self-isolation.
"To be fully transparent with our fans, and stakeholders we will continue to provide periodic updates as appropriate, while maintaining the privacy of the individuals impacted," the team said.
The coronavirus has caused havoc on the sports world, with leagues cancelling or postponing their seasons after the World Health Organization labelled the outbreak a pandemic on March 11.
Ten NBA players are known to have tested positive for COVID-19, though only five of those have been publicly identified.
New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton announced this week he had also tested positive for the coronavirus, the first known case among the NFL.
- Ottawa Senators player tests positive for COVID-19
- NHL says 26 players have tested positive for COVID-19 since June 8
- Four Brooklyn Nets players test positive for COVID-19
- Toronto Raptors players in self-isolation after coronavirus exposure
- Ontario woman and her husband test positive for coronavirus
- Police responding to child hanging from rail of balcony in Mississauga
- Mississauga's “first and only outdoor picnic and beer garden experience" now open
- Toronto strip club employee may have exposed up to 550 to COVID-19: officials
- One of Mississauga’s best-known bars will not be reopening
- A fast food chain has had to close 40 locations amid the COVID-19 pandemic