School board virtual seminar will focus on mental health of students in Burlington, Oakville, Milton
Published February 23, 2023 at 3:35 pm
The Halton District School Board wants to normalize talking about mental health for students in Oakville, Milton, Burlington and Halton Hills.
To that end, they’re hosting a virtual seminar called Normalizing Mental Health in Everyday Speech.
The seminar is the first in a series that will also include environmental leadership and Indigenous perspectives and awareness.
“Each session in the series will explore issues and themes outlined in our Multi-Year Plan from various perspectives, including student voice,” said Curtis Ennis, director of Education for the HDSB.
“We look forward to listening and learning from students, families, staff and community members as we work toward our collective goals as a Board.”
Future sessions in the series include:
- Environmental Leadership (Tuesday, April 18, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.)
- Indigenous Perspectives and Awareness (Tuesday, May 16, at 6 to 7:30 p.m.)
Normalizing Mental Health in Everyday Speech will be held Thursday, March 2, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. This is a virtual event, with the livestream linked on the HDSB website. Registration is not required.
The seminar provides the foundation for students across the HDSB to acknowledge and begin their own mental health journey.
Panel speakers include:
- Mira Backo-Shannon, HDSB parent
- Michelle Bates, HDSB Manager & Mental Health Lead
- Jasmeet Chagger, Founder of SOCH Mental Health
- Maneet Chahal, Founder of SOCH Mental Health
- Sree, HDSB Grade 8 student
- Eileen, HDSB Grade 8 student
- Chase, HDSB Grade 8 student
- Sabrina, HDSB Grade 11 student
- Chloe, HDSB Grade 12 student
- Piper, HDSB Grade 12 student