Scammers threatening service disconnection on the rise among Alectra Utilities customers
Published September 8, 2023 at 3:02 pm
There could be a new set of scammers on the block.
Alectra Utilities is warning customers about a potential scam call from someone who purports to be from Alectra Utilities, threatening to disconnect their services.
“The caller claims that the customer’s account is overdue and, if payment is not made immediately, electricity will be disconnected in the next half-hour,” Alectra Utilities said in a press release.
Authorities say that scammers reach out via text, phone call or post (letter).
The phone scheme involves a fraudster posing as an Alectra Utilities technician, insisting on payment and warning of Smart Meter removal in exchange for installing an analog meter.
Customers may also receive a text promising a refund from Alectra. These messages contain an e-transfer link for recipients to click. The letter scam comprises sending letters through traditional mail to customers, notifying them of an unpaid Smart Meter deposit.
Authorities say that this scam predominantly targets business clients and issues threats of disconnection unless an immediate Smart Meter fee is settled.
Here’s what to do in case you receive any of the above:
- Always verify your account information with Alectra Utilities’ Customer Care Representatives directly using the phone number on your bill if you suspect suspicious activity
- Never make a payment for a charge that isn’t listed on your most recent Alectra Utilities bill
- Do not provide any personal information, including your Alectra Utilities bill or account number
- Do not click on links provided in text messages
- Do not allow the fraudster to arrange a time to visit your home
- Contact Alectra Utilities’ Customer Care Representatives during regular business hours to discuss any outstanding account activity
The following is the process followed by Alectra Utilities for collection of accounts that are overdue:
- Our credit department only makes calls Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- We do not have a “Disconnections Department”
- We would never demand immediate payment using a pre-paid credit card, gift card, PayPal or Bitcoin.
- We do not accept wire transfer payments