Ryerson University already planning for Brampton's medical school
Ryerson University is promising an innovative and leading edge approach to shaping healthcare in Ontario when it opens its medical school in Brampton.
Yesterday (March 24), the Ontario government announced plans for the medical school which at this stage means Ryerson has been given a planning grant to develop a proposal for the school.
"We believe that Ryerson University can offer a new approach to medical education in Ontario -- one that draws on our long track record in health education, our strong partnerships, our commitment to attracting diverse talent, and delivering career-ready graduates," said President and Vice-Chancellor Mohamed Lachemi. "Thanks to the support from our provincial government, Ryerson can build upon the strength and foundation of our faculty, researchers, and deep and broad community and industry partnerships to help shape the future of health care."
According to the university, A School of Medicine at Ryerson University will be designed around five pillars:
- Focusing on community centric primary care and the social determinants of health
- Providing culturally competent care to communities
- Leveraging innovation and technology in practices to improve quality of care and patient outcomes
- Providing future physicians with the skills to develop interprofessional networks of health care to achieve better outcomes for patients
- Focusing on the aging and supporting seniors as a growing portion of our society gets older
The proposal, which will begin to take shape next month, will include a detailed curriculum for both undergraduate and postgraduate studies, research plan, and strategy for student placements as well as a specific operating and financial plan. It will be developed in consultation with Ryerson's external health education working group, the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS) and the Ontario Ministry of Health and community leaders in Brampton.
- Brampton commits $1 million to help plan future Ryerson medical school
- Brampton, Ryerson University continue to collaborate on future medical school
- A new university is coming to Brampton
- Hamilton elementary school to be renamed; Ryerson name nixed
- Brampton, Ryerson team up for expo aimed at entrepreneurs to learn, network
- Married parents of two from Milton celebrating big lotto win
- $500,000 lotto winner from Mississauga thought it was a joke
- Burlington residents now have an additional splash pad to check out this summer
- Brampton truck driver sentenced to prison after 2019 collision that killed three
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public