Rock the Coliseum Returns This Weekend
Rock the Coliseum (RTC), is Mississauga's longest-running festival dedicated to highlighting the best independent music in the GTA with a focus on Mississauga artists, will showcase a collection of the city's brightest talent during two days of live music. RTC 2014 will take place on Friday, August 15 and Saturday, August 16 within the Celebration Square Amphitheatre. Admission is free to all-ages. Showtime for both dates is 4pm-11pm.
RTC 2014 will feature 21 bands in total, with genres ranging from air-tight funk to atmospheric post-hardcore; from solo acoustic guitar wizardry to progressive punk. For the second year in a row, RTC will also include a captivating professional 2-on-2 break dancing battle performed to music supplied by a live band. The battle will be hosted by Ground Illusionz, Mississauga's internationally celebrated B-Boy/B-Girl collective.
When asked about this year's line-up of artists, festival director Ryan Tobin gave his thoughts on where the festival is headed; "2013 was Rock the Coliseum's biggest year by far, and we achieved that by opening the festival to a wider audience. Music fans enjoy an eclectic collection of sounds these days. This year, we decided to continue to build a festival that enjoys mashing together genres while highlighting the amazing musicians that live and play within our city." Tobin says, "It's been years since Mississauga's scene has really flourished, but with the number of enthusiastic people hosting shows and jam nights across the city, we're seeing significant growth and a strong resurgence of a unique Mississauga scene."
Toronto's The Soul Motivators return to RTC, this year to play as headliners on Friday, August 15. The band is a tight 9-piece ensemble that digs deep to mine their interpretation of 70s style rare grooves. Their explosive live show has been seen at the Toronto TD Jazz Festival and The Beaches International Jazz Festival. They've opened for such legends as Afrika Bambaataa and Lee Fields & The Expressions.
Winnipeg's Sights & Sounds headline RTC 2014 On Saturday, August 16. Veterans of the Canadian hardcore and post-hardcore scenes, Sights & Sounds return to Mississauga for a rare performance that is sure to leave the RTC audience in awe of their intense brand of atmospheric post-hardcore. Sights & Sounds have toured extensively through North America, Europe, SE Asia and Australia with bands such as: Billy Talent, Moneen, Lower Than Atlantis, Misery Signals, and many more.
Check out www.rockthecoliseum.net for a full list of artists performing at RTC 2014.
- Beloved Annual Music Festival About to Kick Off in Mississauga
- The Sights & Sounds of the Mississauga Ribfest
- Hugely Popular Music Festival About to Kick Off in Mississauga
- Popular Mississauga festival going virtual this year
- Major Food, Music, Comedy and Entertainment Festival Coming to Celebration Square in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga men enjoying big lotto wins
- Employee at Mississauga shopping centre tests positive for COVID-19
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 24
- Police investigating jewelry store robbery in Mississauga
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 24