Resource centre for homeless in Mississauga moves to new location


Published February 10, 2022 at 1:24 pm

Homeless man
(Stock image)

A resource hub for Mississauga residents facing homelessness is moving to a new location next month.

The City of Mississauga’s Open Window Hub (OWH), which operates out of locations at the Civic Centre and Port Credit Memorial Arena, is moving its Civic Centre operation to the Mississauga Valley Community Centre in early March.

City officials say the OWH provides help for individuals and families across the city who are experiencing homelessness and/or mental health issues.

At the OWH, people will find a qualified social worker who can put young people and adults in touch with treatment, housing and employment services to help them ease back into the community.

Showers are also available free of charge at most community centres.

The OWH currently operates at the following locations:

  • Civic Centre: C Café (through Feb. 28), at 300 City Centre Dr., main floor. Operates Tuesday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch and light snacks provided each day starting at noon.
  • Port Credit Memorial Arena: 40 Stavebank Rd. N. Operates Wednesdays, from 9 a.m. till noon

Starting in March, the C Café location will move to the Mississauga Valley Community Centre gymnasium, at 1275 Mississauga Valley Blvd.

City officials say other resources are also available to those facing issues related to homelessness and mental health:

  • Region of Peel Street Helpline: Call 1-877-848-8481 if you or someone you know is at immediate risk for homelessness. Help is available 24 hours a day. For additional homeless or at-risk support, call the Region at 905-791-7800 or toll free 1-888-919-7800 or visit Services include emergency and transitional shelters, street outreach, support series and help to find permanent housing
  • Food banks: Call 211 or Region of Peel at 905-971-7800. There are programs that distribute free groceries or vouchers to eligible individuals and families on low incomes
  • Transitional housing: Call Services and Housing in the Province (SHIP) at 905-795-8742 for transitional housing support. Transitional housing is a temporary, supportive type of housing. It offers structure, supervision, support and life skills to help people go from homelessness to permanent housing

For more information, contact OWH at 905-615-3200, ext. 3541.

INsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies