Region hoppers bringing COVID-19 to Mississauga and Brampton, says Peel’s top medical expert
Loose COVID restrictions in other areas of Ontario are contributing to the spread of the virus in Mississauga and Brampton.
That is the opinion of Peel Region's Medical Officer of Health (MOH) who believes the lack of a co-ordinated approach to containing the virus across the GTA has led to some of the health problems we face here.
Speaking at a press conference in Brampton this morning, MOH Dr. Lawrence Loh said the looser restrictions in other areas have made it easy for Peel residents to "region hop" into areas where dining, shopping and personal care services are more widely available.
"In Peel, one of the challenges that we've had are people travelling to areas that had looser restrictions, contracting COVID, and bringing it back here to be counted in our case counts," said. Dr. Loh. "So the decision taken to have other jurisdictions in the Greater Toronto Area to have looser restrictions has contributed to keeping us in lockdown."
Since November Peel Region has been in the grey lockdown zone in Ontario's guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The grey zone is the most restrictive zone but neighbouring regions such as Halton, York, Durham and Hamilton have been at times in the looser red zone.
Dr. Loh said that moving forward the provincial government should take a broader approach when determining restrictions to discourage region hopping.
- Ford says cabinet to discuss amending grey zone restrictions in Mississauga and Brampton
- Hamilton moving back to 'grey-lockdown' zone of province's COVID-19 framework
- New restrictions coming for COVID-19 hot spots of Toronto, Peel, York Region
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- As Brampton and Mississauga COVID cases rise, Peel’s top doctor warns of 'playing with fire' if restrictions are further relaxed
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada
- Alarmingly 20% of all Brampton being tested currently have COVID-19
- Mississauga boxing gym defying provincial lockdown orders facing charges by City
- Mississauga and Brampton may have seen last of the lockdowns, says Peel Region's top doctor
- Gun play has police on the scene at Brampton neighbourhood