Record setting day in Mississauga and Brampton for COVID-19 vaccinations
While Saturday saw record setting numbers for COVID-19 vaccinations for a day in Mississauga and Brampton, this weekend also marked the highest number of reported cases in Peel Region in a single 24-hour period.
A record 12,940 vaccine doses were administered Saturday at the Region’s mass vaccination centres, hospitals and clinics.
That’s a boost to the more than 250,000 vaccines doses that have been administered so far through Sunday, including over 40 per cent of the Region’s 60 and over population.
More than 90,000 residents are expected to be vaccinated this week as younger age groups become eligible in the Region.
“This is exciting and I want to thank everyone who took their vaccine for doing the right thing,” said Dr. Lawrence Loh, Medical Officer of Health, Peel Region on the record setting numbers. “I encourage all eligible residents to please go online and book your appointments.”
With the third wave surging, the race to get residents vaccinated is important as ever.
In Brampton, Peel Public Health reported 453 positive cases on Sunday, bringing the city’s overall numbers to 47,315 during the pandemic.
Peel Public Health reported Mississauga having 248 positive cases on Sunday, bringing their overall numbers to 27,714.
“Unfortunately, this weekend also saw our highest number of reported cases in a single day,” Dr. Loh said. “With the provincial stay at home order and the third wave surging in our community, I ask that everyone in Peel stay at home and go out only if absolutely necessary.
“It is extremely important for us to stay home and stop the spread of the virus. These measures will save lives, protect our hospital system, and ensure the success of our vaccination program through an interruption of transmission and an eventual exit from current measures.”
As the province heads into a new phase, beginning Monday Mississauga and Brampton residents eligible to be vaccinated will be supported by the provincial telephone booking system (1-888-999-6488).
Peel’s Public Health call centre will remain open to support eligible groups in booking appointments.
A reminder that COVID-19 vaccine clinics are by appointment only. The Region is requesting patience as the call centre is experiencing higher than normal wait times.
For more information on eligibility and booking an appointment, visit peelregion.ca/coronavirus/vaccine.
- REMINDER: All Mississauga and Brampton residents over 18 will be able to book vaccine appointments today
- Hamilton Public Health adds new group to vaccine eligibility as Province launches online booking
- Spots still open for eligible Mississauga and Brampton residents to get their COVID-19 vaccine
- Cases in Mississauga and Brampton push Peel Region COVID number to record high
- Public Health says Mississauga and Brampton officially experiencing second wave of COVID-19 as new cases surpass 200 for second day in a row
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- Starbucks close two Brampton locations to deal with COVID-19
- Peel Public Health orders Mississauga business to close due to outbreak of COVID-19