Recalled spice linked to Markham poisoning investigation

By

Published September 2, 2022 at 11:03 am

York Region public health is alerting the public to two products linked to a food poisoning investigation at a Markham, Ont., restaurant. Public health officials say not to use or consume Mr. Right brand Kaempferia Galanga Powder, a common spice in Asian cuisine (shown), and Mr. Right brand Radix Aconiti Kusnezoffii, which may be used as a traditional herbal medicine. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO- York Region Public Health HO

A recall has been issued for Mr. Right brand Kaempferia Galanga Powder after 12 people suffered food poisoning at a Markham restaurant.

The aconitine toxin comes from the roots of the poisonous Monkshood plant, which is also known as Wolfsbane, or Keampfeira.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the recalled product, which is a common spice in Asian cuisine and is also called sand ginger powder, has been sold in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec, and may have been distributed in other provinces and territories.

Symptoms associated with aconite poisoning can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, irregular heart beats, and in severe cases, death.

The recalled product is linked to a food poisoning investigation where 12 diners who ate at a Markham restaurant last weekend became seriously ill, three of whom remain in intensive care in hospital.

York Region public health alerted the public not to consume Mr. Right brand Kaempferia Galanga Powder and Mr. Right brand Radix Aconiti Kusnezoffii, which may be used as a traditional herbal medicine.

In March, B.C.’s poison information centre and the Fraser Health authority warned the public not to consume Wing Hing-brand sand ginger powder after two people were hospitalized and later recovered.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 2, 2022.

The Canadian Press

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising
advertising