RBC Text Message Scam has Re-Surfaced in Mississauga
Although you might know a scam when you see it, others—particularly older adults who are not as familiar with new technology—might not.
As recently as today, Mississauga residents reported receiving text messages from a user posing as RBC. The text, which has grammatical errors, says "Someone Sign On your RBC Account Online today with IP..." and asks the reader to click a link to "secure access" to his or her bank account.
This is a pretty blatant phishing scam, but some people—especially those who have been shopping at stores they may not normally frequent due to the holidays—might indeed worry that their RBC credit or debit card has been compromised.
With Christmas just a few weeks away and many a shopping trip on the horizon, remember that no legitimate financial institution will inform you of a compromised card or account via email or text.
- Region providing money to residents who want to build basement apartments in Mississauga
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Mississauga grocery store worker tests positive for COVID-19
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- Ontario player wins Saturday’s $14.2 million Lotto 649 jackpot