Public health warns of COVID-19 outbreaks at four weddings in the GTA
Public health officials say four weddings that took place in the Greater Toronto Area during the last weekend of August have resulted in 11 new cases of COVID-19.
The York Region Public Health Unit is warning anyone who attended the weddings that they may have been exposed to the virus, and to monitor for symptoms until Sept. 12.
Three of the weddings took place Aug. 28 at a private home in Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ont., Rexdale Singh Sabha Religious Centre in Toronto, and Lakshmi Narayan Mandir Temple in Toronto.
The other wedding took place on Aug. 29 at a private home in Markham, Ont.
The health unit says it has issued the public notice to help it trace the contacts of individuals who may have been at the gatherings.
It says it has followed up with known close contacts of the identified cases and directed them to get tested and self-isolate for 14 days.
Ontario reported 158 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, along with two more deaths due to the coronavirus.
There were also 111 cases newly marked as resolved.
The total number of cases in Ontario now stands at 43,161, which includes 2,813 deaths and 38,958 resolved cases.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says Toronto reported 49 new cases on Sunday, Peel Region reported 44 and Ottawa 21.
She said 29 of the province's 34 public health units reported five or fewer new cases, and 20 are reporting none.
The province was able to complete 28,955 tests over the previous day.
- Public Health: COVID-19 cases linked to GTA wedding events grows to 23
- Ontario officials report 425 new COVID-19 cases, 31 new cases reported in Mississauga
- Ontario reports 158 new COVID-19 cases, two new deaths due to the virus
- 135 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario, seven new cases found in Mississauga
- 564 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, close to 700 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- Mississauga home involved in part of large fentanyl seizure
- BREAKING: AMBER Alert issued for two girls last seen in Kitchener
- Police looking for missing vulnerable female last seen in Mississauga
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 28
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 28