Provinicial Government Announces Massive Funding to Improve Transit and Infrastructure
Some much-needed improvements are being planned for Ontario’s infrastructure.
The provincial government recently announced investments totalling $480 million to support public transit and transportation infrastructure throughout the province.
A total of 350 projects have also been nominated to the federal government under both the Rural and Northern and Public Transit infrastructure streams of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP).
“Ontario is keeping its promise to make sure people can get where they need to go safely and efficiently,” said Laurie Scott, the Minister of Infrastructure. “Infrastructure investments help businesses to move goods and deliver their services more broadly and efficiently. And they create jobs, helping to make Ontario open for business.”
ICIP is a $30 billion, 10-year infrastructure program, cost-shared between federal, provincial and municipal governments. Ontario's share per project will be up to 33.33 per cent or about $10.2 billion spread across four streams:
- Rural and Northern.
- Public Transit.
- Community, Culture and Recreation.
Road, bridge, air and marine infrastructure investments nominated to the federal government by Ontario are over $115 million in provincial funding.
These include investments to enable critical repair or replacement of roads or sidewalks in small towns, replacement of essential bridges to let emergency vehicles get people to safety faster, or the addition of roundabouts to improve traffic flow.
“Our investments will make it easier to get to work, to the hospital, to a store, or safely home to their loved ones,” said Scott. “This government is committed to building infrastructure that makes life better for people across Ontario. Better public transit infrastructure creates stronger communities and frees up more time for students to pursue their education and find work, which helps make Ontario open for business.”
The 350 projects that have been sent to the federal government for final funding approval are being reviewed for eligibility under the ICIP. Some plans have already received federal approval to begin.
What do you think of this planned funding?
- Feds and Province teaming up to provide more than 30 million in funding for infrastructure projects in Brampton and Mississauga
- Provincial government launches new framework for receiving infrastructure proposals
- Ontario announces council to improve provincial-federal relations
- More Transit Could be Coming to Mississauga
- Brampton lines up $400M in funding from infrastructure bank for electric buses
- Brampton restaurant ordered to pay $13K in missed wages to former cook
- Unvaccinated students in Mississauga and Ontario will follow stricter COVID outbreak rules, Ontario top doc says
- Longtime friends from Brampton and Georgetown richer for sharing Lotto Max ticket
- Big lotto winner from Mississauga thought it was a joke when it said ‘Big Winner’
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton