Province: Nearly $90 million in equipment and supplies provided by Ontario businesses
As part of the government’s Ontario Together initiative, the province says it has received over 14,000 submissions offering equipment and supplies such as hand sanitizer, gowns, coveralls, masks, face shields, testing equipment, and ventilators.
The province launched its Ontario Together web portal on March 21 to appeal to Ontario businesses and manufacturers who were interested in assisting with the fight against COVID-19.
As of April 11, the province reports more than 7,500 emergency supply submissions have generated nearly $90 million in purchases of critical equipment and supplies, including 5.1 million gloves, 20 million masks, 250,000 face shields, and 50,000 units of clip-on hand sanitizer for OPP officers.
“Since our initial call to action was issued, we have had a tremendous response from Ontario businesses,” said Premier Doug Ford.
“These go-getters have stepped up in a big way to support our frontline workers with medical supplies and equipment, and many more are coming forward with a variety of innovative solutions. We have mobilized our manufacturing firepower and are converting it into Canada’s manufacturing workshop.”
Ford added that they need to enlist even more of the province’s entrepreneurial leaders in their efforts to fight the virus.
“Over 1,200 submissions were received for the first three challenges to support the delivery of mental health solutions to vulnerable populations, ensure the strength of our supply chains and deliver financial advice to the small business community,” the government said in a recent statement.
“The government’s next challenge will call for ideas on how to support remote learning, with new challenges posted to the Ontario Together web portal on a regular basis.”
On April 1, Ford announced a $50 million Ontario Together fund to help businesses provide innovative solutions to the pandemic or retool their operations in order to manufacture essential medical supplies and equipment that the province needs.
More information can be found at the Ontario Together web portal.
- Premier Ford announces $50 million fund to help businesses assist province in fighting COVID-19
- Ontario secures medical equipment and supplies amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Ontario helping manufacturers ramp up production of personal protective equipment
- Ontario Together: Province launches online tool for businesses to help combat COVID-19
- Ontario investing $11 million to support province's most vulnerable amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Region providing money to residents who want to build basement apartments in Mississauga
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Public Health says Mississauga and Brampton officially experiencing second wave of COVID-19 as new cases surpass 200 for second day in a row
- Ontario player wins Saturday’s $14.2 million Lotto 649 jackpot
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win