Prescription Drugs Are Now Free for Ontario Youth
Prescription medications are officially free for Ontario residents 24 and under as the new medicare expansion dubbed OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare kicks in.
“We believe in helping all families receive the medication they need, at no cost, to stay healthy and strong regardless of income,” said Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Dr. Eric Hoskins.
“OHIP+ is a bold step toward our commitment and vision of bringing universal drug coverage to all Ontarians.”
More than 4,400 prescription medications are covered.
The cost to taxpayers: $465 million.
Under the program, residents can present their Ontario health card number along with a valid prescription at an Ontario pharmacy and medicine will be provided free of charge.
Medications covered by OHIP+ include asthma inhalers, drugs to treat depression, anxiety, epilepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, antibiotics, EpiPens (epinephrine auto-injectors), insulin, diabetes test strips, oral contraceptives, medications to treat some childhood cancers and other rare conditions, and many others.
You can search Ontario’s new medication coverage tool to see if their drugs are covered under OHIP+.
Ontario is the first province to provide prescription medication coverage at no cost for children and youth age 24 years and under, helping more people afford the medications that they need to stay healthy.
OHIP+ will give young people access to more than 4,400 drug products reimbursed under the Ontario Drug Benefit program, including some of the most commonly used medications and those available through the Exceptional Access Program, if an individual qualifies, at no cost.
- A New Pop-Up Store is Open at Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- Crews Attending Basement Fire in Mississauga
- Man in Life-Threatening Condition After Being Pulled from Pool in Mississauga
- Popular Store Opens First Outlet in Canada at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Mississauga Man Facing 45 Hate-Related Charges
- Province Announces Changes to Prescription Drug Coverage in Ontario
- Province to Offer Free Prescription Drugs for Youth
- Free Prescription Drugs Coming for Even More People in Mississauga
- Huge Discounts Coming to Prescription Drugs in Mississauga and Beyond
- Abortion Pill Set to be Available Across Ontario at No Cost