Premier Doug Ford set to make an announcement in Mississauga
Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who appears poised to potentially roll the Halton and York regions back to a modified Stage 2 in the wake of increasing COVID-19 cases, will appear in Mississauga for his daily announcement.
Early this morning (Oct. 16), the province said that Ford will make his daily address, alongside Health Minister Christine Elliott and Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade Minister Vic Fedeli, in the city.
The announcement will take place at 1:00 pm.
While the exact content of the announcement has not yet been disclosed, Ford hinted at the possibility of more rollbacks yesterday as the number of active cases in Halton grew to 223. The province also addressed concerns about people in Mississauga, Brampton and Toronto travelling to the York and Halton regions to dine-in and workout.
On Oct. 15, Burlington officials asked Toronto and Peel residents to avoid Burlington businesses in a bid to slow transmission of the virus.
The restrictions currently in place in Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa, known as “Stage 2 light,” have shut indoor restaurants and gym facilities there. As of now, Halton remains in Stage 3 and indoor dining and fitness classes are permitted.
That could change as Ford mentioned the situation is “teetering” outside the restricted areas referring to both Halton and York Region.
Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario’s associate chief medical officer of health, also acknowledged health officials are looking at Halton with concern and that recommendations will be made soon.
With files from Steve Pecar
Cover photo courtesy of The Canadian Press
- Premier Ford delaying decision on Halton Region's COVID future
- Just 18 new cases across Halton Region today as Premier Ford delays further restrictions
- Ontario set to decide on imposing new restrictions on Halton, Durham regions
- Doug Ford set to make an announcement in Mississauga
- Doug Ford suggests that restrictions on Mississauga could be eased after the 28-day rollback ends
- Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze
- Sikh, Hindu dispute over Indian politics boils over in Brampton
- The Cake Boss is coming to Canada with a brand new location in Mississauga
- Here’s what Mississauga residents can and cannot do under grey lockdown restrictions
- Loopholes still allow international travellers to "collect your luggage and leave" at Pearson Airport in Mississauga