Power Outages Possible For Mississauga This Weekend
Extremely inclement and wintery weather has been forecast for this weekend, so residents in Mississauga and surrounding cities are being advised that power outages are a possibility.
Alectra Utilities recently reminded residents in Mississauga, Hamilton, St. Catharines and York Region/Simcoe County that the possibility of significant freezing rain starting Saturday morning continuing through to Sunday could cause power outages in some areas.
"This weather event may result in lengthy power outages caused by significant ice build-up on electrical equipment, high winds and fallen tree limbs on overhead power lines," Alectra said in a news release.
Alectra says that downed power lines may be energized and are dangerous.
If you encounter one, you should stay at least 10 metres away (the length of a school bus), and call 911 immediately.
To report outages, Alectra Utilities’ customers should call:
St. Catharines: 905-684-8111
York Region/Simcoe County: 1-877-963-6900
Alectra says field crews and communications staff will be prepared to respond as the situation evolves.
Alectra also advises residents to keep an emergency kit on hand in the event of a sustained power outage.
It is recommended that emergency kits include: medicine, first aid supplies, flashlights, new batteries, a battery-operated radio, a manual can opener, canned food, bottled water, blankets, food for pets and important telephone numbers for family doctors, schools, daycare and insurance companies.
- Here’s What’s Happening With the Power Outages in Mississauga
- Power Outages Affecting Residents and Causing Closures in Mississauga
- Strong Winds Cause Power Outage for Over 10,000 Brampton and Mississauga Residents
- Rogers Reporting Power Outages in Mississauga
- Crews Dispatched for Power Outage Affecting Mississauga Residents
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- PHOTOS: Massive $50,000,000 mansion with gold-lining is for sale in Mississauga
- Newly-released data indicates that Mississauga is a hotspot for COVID-19
- House of the Week: $2 mil home with gorgeous, upgraded interior
- Peel releases map data showing COVID-19 cases and hotspots