Possibly Drunk Man Crashes Car in Mississauga Police Station Parking Lot, Blames GPS
Since the holiday season is upon us, the police's RIDE program is out in full force and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are reporting that a whopping 104 charges were laid over this past weekend in relation to a series of impaired driving incidents.
There was also a number of crashes and rollovers and an 11-year-old boy was caught going on an erratic joyride on the 400 after getting too excited during a session of Grand Theft Auto.
One of the weekend's oddest stories, however, revolves around a man who blamed his GPS after crashing his car in the parking lot of OPP's Port Credit detachment.
“A lot has been going on over the last couple of hours and this past night, some really strange calls, some impaired driving calls,” explained Sgt. Schmidt in a Periscope video. “[Such as] someone using a GPS and crashing right through a police station at the Port Credit OPP detachment.”
According to the OPP, the potentially impaired driver told police he was "just following his GPS" after the crash.
While that incident ended in some amusement, other collisions involving impaired drivers were tragic. On Nov. 27, the OPP announced that they were investigating a fatal accident in the Highway 7 and Trussler Road area that ended with one driver being charged with impairment.
The OPP also announced that 274 people have died on OPP patrolled roads this year—a sobering (no pun intended) number to be sure.
Stay safe and don't think and drive—and don't follow your GPS into a police station parking lot at crash-causing speeds.
- Mississauga School in Lockdown After Weapon Reportedly Seen
- Residents Devastated After Homeless Man’s Garden Destroyed in Mississauga
- New Bank Fraud Scam Circulating in Mississauga
- Police Release Warning to Residents Following Multiple Sexual Assaults in Mississauga
- Do You Know How to Use a Roundabout in Mississauga?
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Mississauga
- Hundreds of Impaired Driving Charges Laid in OPP Festive RIDE
- Mississauga Man Charged with Impaired Driving After Crashing into Police Cruiser and Pole
- Multiple People Arrested During First Weekend of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Police on Scene Following Impaired Driving Incident in Mississauga