Porter delays restart of flight operations five weeks to mid-November
TORONTO -- Porter Airlines Inc. is extending its suspension of all flights until Nov. 12, five weeks after its previously announced target to resume flying.
The Toronto-based airline grounded its fleet on March 21 amid the COVID-19 outbreak, with initial plans to take off again in early June.
Travel restrictions and plummeting demand have prompted the company to push back its relaunch date several times.
Porter says the Atlantic Canada travel bubble, travel restrictions limiting those who can come to Canada and the ongoing two-week quarantine requirement for those entering the country are factors in its delayed restart.
CEO Michael Deluce says all of its markets are affected by the travel ban on would-be visitors to Canada.
The pandemic has devastated the airline industry, with the International Air Transport Association projecting Canadian airline revenues in 2020 will fall by $14.6 billion or 43 per cent from last year.
The Canadian Press
- Porter pushes back restart of flight operations by five weeks to mid-December
- Porter Airlines delays service restart, eyes March 29 as tentative date
- Porter Airlines extends suspension of flights until end of August
- Porter Airlines extends suspension of flights another month to July 29
- Porter cancels all flights through June as tanking travel demand bleeds sector
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Major road closed in aftermath of fatal crash in Mississauga
- This Mississauga neighbourhood has one of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates in Ontario
- ‘You don’t want to fall into that three per cent category’: Ontario ICU doctor on battling COVID-19
- Major road closed due to serious crash in Mississauga
- Environment Canada issues snowfall warning for Mississauga