Port Credit Harbour Way Back in the Day
Always a safe haven from lake storms, the harbour proper began when the Port Credit Harbour Company was founded in 1834. The construction of two wharves and a warehouse allowed for the export of goods by loading them onto larger boats that could go long distances to other parts of Canada and the world.
The harbour reached its peak between 1880 and 1900 with the advent of stonehooking; one of the primary building materials for construction in Toronto was shale from the bottom of Lake Ontario. The vessels that raised this stone were called Stonehookers and a great many of them were based at Port Credit.
The trade started in the mid 1800s and lasted till about 1910 when inland quarries opened up. The peak of the trade was in 1881 when 23 stonehooking vessels operated out of Port Credit. An extensive lake fishery also operated for a time out of the Port Credit Harbour. Today the historic harbour is largely home to recreational activities.
Credit River, looking south, towards Port Credit harbour, c1900
Port Credit Harbour Scene, Stonehooker Lillian in harbour, 1910 (Lakeshore Road Bridge)
Lakeshore Road Bridge, looking west, over Credit River at Port Credit Harbour, c1910
Port Credit Harbour c1945
Port Credit Harbour, 1949
Port Credit Harbour, c1900
Port Credit Harbour, c1920
Port Credit Harbour, sunken stonehooker, undated
Port Credit Lighthouse and St Lawrence Starch Company, c1920
Return Man’s Parade and Port Credit Harbour, Port Credit, 1919
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak affecting staff members at Mississauga Hospital
- Pizza Pizza introducing new tamper-proof box
- Justin Trudeau says we won’t return to complete normalcy until a vaccine is produced
- Close to 500 new cases of COVID-19 found in Ontario, over 400 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- Robbers escape by air after stealing gold bars from Canadian mine in Mexico