Police Warning Residents to Watch Out for Car Thefts in Mississauga
If you have a car full of Christmas gifts, the absolute last thing you want is to have them (and your car) stolen while you warm up your vehicle (especially on a frigid day like today).
Peel police are advising Mississauga residents to be aware of potential warm-up thefts (meaning thefts that occur while you leave your vehicle to heat up unattended). According to police, these types of thefts are occurring more often in Peel and residents should be particularly vigilant on very cold days.
Police say that it takes less than a minute for a thief to steal a vehicle when it is left warming up and unattended.
"These crimes impact everyone by causing an increase in insurance premiums and creating a potential risk to the public due to criminals operating stolen vehicles on our streets," police say.
Police are advising residents to avoid leaving their running vehicles unattended (even in driveways).
They’re recommending drivers use remote starters/lock the vehicle with a spare key while it runs, park the vehicle as close as possible, install motion-activated lights near driveways and leave valuables out of view (at this time of year, it's best to keep gifts and other goods in your trunk).
"Peel Regional Police would like to remind everyone that the convenience of a warm car on a cold day is relatively minor compared to the inconvenience of having your vehicle stolen," says Inspector Woodland, Peel Regional Police Commercial Auto Crime. "Help us keep our communities safer together, by not leaving a vehicle unattended while it is running, even for only a few moments."
Anyone who may have any information pertaining to this matter may call the Commercial Auto Crime Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3310.
- Mississauga Massage Therapist Facing Sexual Assault Charges
- PHOTOS: Justin Trudeau Makes Major Budget Announcement in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga Schools in Hold and Secure Following Ongoing Investigation
- PHOTOS: Meadowvale Neighbourhood Could Undergo Massive Redevelopment Soon
- Metrolinx Makes Significant Changes to the LRT in Mississauga
- Warm-up Thefts on the Rise in Mississauga
- Police Warning Public About String of Dangerous Vehicle Part Thefts in Mississauga
- Police Investigating Vehicle Thefts at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Car Thefts Have Doubled In Mississauga
- Police Investigating After Vehicle Stolen with Dog Inside in Mississauga