Police Still Searching for Suspects in Several Peel Homicides
Today, Peel police held a news conference to update the media and public on its progress in relation to five homicides that have occurred in the Region of Peel this year.
Peel Police Chief Jennifer Evans said that "four significant arrests" have been made in connection with the incidents and that an arrest has been made in the Brampton motel room shooting death of 19-year-old Toronto man Jahsavior Reid.
On Monday, Feb. 20 at approximately 10:20 p.m., Reid was shot during an altercation in the motel room on Steelwell Road. Police say that he was shot "multiple times" and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Shortly after the incident, police said that they believed the shooting to be an isolated incident and that there was no threat to public safety.
At the conference, Evans announced that a suspect was arrested in connection with the case and charged with first degree murder.
Police are still searching for more outstanding individuals.
Police also discussed the murder of 43-year-old Mississauga woman Cheryl McVarish.
On Monday, March 13, 43-year-old Mississauga woman Cheryl McVarish was reported missing from her home. During the early hours of Monday, March 20, McVarish was located, deceased, in the driveway of her residence. Subsequent investigation revealed that McVarish had been murdered and that blunt force trauma was one of the contributing factors to her death.
McVarish's boyfriend's father, 64-year-old Mississauga man Gil DaSilva, has been arrested and charged with second degree murder in connection with the case. Police said McVarish's boyfriend, who they did not name, has been cooperating with the investigation and is not a suspect.
At the conference, police revealed that evidence suggests McVarish was murdered in her home and concealed there until she was discovered.
Police also discussed the recent shooting death of 19-year-old Brampton teen Kamar McIntosh, who was gunned down in a Popeye's restaurant in the Hurontario and Dundas area in Mississauga.
McIntosh was shot to death in the washroom of the restaurant following an “altercation with the suspects” at 3:25 p.m. on April 27. Paramedics transported the victim to a local hospital where he died of his injuries.
On Wednesday May 3, investigators from the Homicide and Missing Persons Bureau issued a warrant of arrest for Thulani Chizanga and Shamar Lawson Meredith for first degree murder.
A young offender was arrested in connection with the incident the same day. The boy, 17, is charged with first-degree murder.
On May 6, 19-year-old Mississauga teen Chizanga turned himself into police.
Police say they are still looking for 18-year-old Peel resident Meredith, whose whereabouts is unknown.
"He's aware we're actively looking for him," said Det.-Sgt. Sean Brennan, adding that police believe he's living in Mississauga.
Police said there are no connections between any of the homicides.
- Amazing Aerial Shots of Mississauga From The 70s
- Bonus House of the Week: Iconic and Mysterious Castle House in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of stolen tractor-trailer smashing into a gas station and vehicles in Mississauga
- Police searching for missing nine-year-old boy from Mississauga
- Fatal collision involving stolen truck takes down hydro wires; major Mississauga intersection closed
- Police Arrest Man Suspected of Murdering Mississauga Woman
- Third Suspect Arrested in Connection With Mississauga Shooting
- Police Arrest 19-Year-Old in Connection With Mississauga Shooting Death of Teen
- Police Arrest Second Man Wanted in Connection with Murder of 18-Year-Old
- Police Searching for Suspects in Connection with Mississauga Murder