VIDEO: Police Set Up Task Force Following Bombay Bhel Restaurant Bombing in Mississauga
Peel police say investigators have officially completed processing the scene of a bombing that took place at the Bombay Bhel restaurant in the Eglinton and Hurontario area on Thursday, May 24.
The incident sent 15 people to hospital.
“This is a highly complex process that involved the cooperation of multiple bureaus and specialized units of the Peel Regional Police, said Superintendent Rob Ryan in a news conference today.
“We have set-up a full-time task force to work on this incident and a dedicated phone line 1-866-966-0616. They will explore every possible avenue and every available lead.”
Ryan says forensic experts processed the scene, photographed the restaurant and collected physical evidence including fingerprints and DNA. The information will be analyzed by the Province’s Centre of Forensic Science.
“We had the Explosives Disposal Unit analyze the blast site and scour the surrounding areas looking for other potential explosives,” he says.
“Our Public Safety Unit conducted a thorough ground search for evidence using canine support in conjunction with drones to map out the area. At the same time, we are continuing to canvass the surrounding neighbourhoods searching for more witnesses and video surveillance from cars, homes and businesses that might be of help.”
Ryan says that while original reports of the suspects indicated they were both men, investigators now believe at least one of the suspects may be a woman.
Investigators have since adjusted the description of the suspects as follows:
The first suspect is described as approximately 5’10” to 6 feet tall with a stocky build. The suspect was wearing dark pants, a dark coloured hoodie pulled over head and a baseball cap. The face was covered with dark material.
The second suspect is described as approximately 5’10” to 6 feet tall with a medium build. This suspect was wearing blue jeans, a dark coloured hoodie pulled over head and the face was covered with dark material.
The suspects immediately fled eastbound on foot.
Peel Regional Police have released video of the suspects running from the area.
You can see the video here:
Police have also provided a photo of the suspects and a map of the escape route they took immediately after the incident:
Investigators are still appealing to the public for help in locating the suspects.
They urge anyone who may have been in the restaurant or in the area at the time of the incident, or anyone with dashcam or other video that may help the investigation to come forward.
Anyone with information can call the dedicated Tip Line: 1-866-966-0616, available 24/7
To leave an anonymous tip call Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or visi www.peelcrimestoppers.ca.
- NEW VIDEO: Police Release New Footage of Suspects in Bombay Bhel Restaurant Bombing in Mississauga
- Police Provide Update on Restaurant Bombing in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Police searching for suspects in sexual assault incident in Mississauga
- Everything We Know So Far About the Restaurant Explosion in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Police Searching for Mississauga Break-In Suspects
- Mississauga, Brampton students likely to finish school year via remote learning
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- Ontario doctors urging Province extend lockdown set to expire in late May
- Cyclist taken to hospital after being hit by car in Brampton
- Cake purchased at Farm Boy in Hamilton, Burlington or Oakville faces recall