Police Provide Update on Restaurant Bombing in Mississauga
Police have provided some updates on an ongoing investigation into a bomb blast that sent multiple people to hospital last week.
At a press conference held earlier today, Peel Regional Police Superintendent Rob Ryan said that one of the suspects might actually be a woman, but could not specify which one.
Supt. Ryan also said that a motive has not yet been identified and that no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.
There were 30 people in the restaurant at the time of the blast.
Law enforcement across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) are still hunting a pair of suspects who allegedly planted an improvised explosive device (IED) at Bombay Bhel on Hurontario St. and fled.
"We need the public's assistance to help us identify these men," said Peel Regional Police Chief Jennifer Evans in an earlier press conference.
Shortly after the incident, police announced that all victims—including Mississauga and Brampton residents—were released from hospital, including three who were said to be critically injured in the immediate aftermath.
The trio included a 35-year-old Brampton man, and two Mississauga women ages 62 and 48.
The blast sent a total of 15 people to hospital.
Police say there is no indication that the bombing was a terrorist incident or hate crime
“I want to assure everyone that every police resource is being used right now to locate the people responsible for this horrendous act,” Peel Regional Police Chief Jennifer Evans said on Friday morning.
First responders were sent to 5035 Hurontario St. at 10:30 p.m. on May 24. That’s at the northeast corner of Eglinton Ave.
Police say two suspects entered the Indian restaurant, where two separate birthday parties were taking place, with an improvised explosive device (IED) and were seen fleeing in a vehicle immediately following the explosion.
Evans confirmed there were children under the age of 10 in the restaurant at the time.
“Fortunately, they were not injured,” Evans said.
Either way, “we need the public’s assistance to help us identify these men,” said Evans.
The first suspect is described as mid-20s with light skin, standing 5-foot-10 to 6-feet with a stocky build. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a dark zip-up hoodie pulled over his head, a baseball cap with light grey peak. His face was covered with black cloth material.
The second suspect is described as having fair skin, standing 5-foot-9 to 5-foot-10 with a thin build. The suspect was wearing faded blue jeans, a dark zip-up hoodie with the hood pulled over his head, a grey T-shirt, and dark ‘skate’ shoes with their face covered.
Ryan said the suspects went to "great lengths to hide their identities."
Police did not disclose which suspect could be a woman.
When asked by reporters if the bombing was the result of a personal or family dispute, Ryan said it's not possible to distinguish a motive at this time.
Ryan says restaurant operators are cooperating with police.
Witnesses or anyone who was in the area or has dash cam footage is asked the contact the 12 Division criminal investigation bureau at 905-453-2121 ext. 1233.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie was also on hand for the Friday press conference and described the incident as heinous.
“This is not the Mississauga I know,” said Crombie, adding the “people who have done this need to answer for their crimes.”
There’s “considerable” damage to the restaurant, said Evans, adding police have cordoned off as much as possible and it will take several hours to process the scene.
The investigation into the blast is ongoing.
Photos courtesy of Peel Regional Police
- Victims in Mississauga Bombing Released From Hospital: Police
- UPDATE: Mississauga Residents Among Victims in 'Horrendous' Explosion
- NEW VIDEO: Police Release New Footage of Suspects in Bombay Bhel Restaurant Bombing in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Police Set Up Task Force Following Bombay Bhel Restaurant Bombing in Mississauga
- Everything We Know So Far About the Restaurant Explosion in Mississauga